Open position: Program Strategist
3×3 is a social innovation consultancy for urban and economic development initiatives. We apply human-centered design to urban planning issues to help our clients problem solve, create smarter programs and services, and improve urban experiences. Our team applies practical knowledge of today’s complex urban systems, collaborative engagement, and insights from contextual research to help clients launch lean programs that create social value.
3×3 is seeking a full-time Program Strategist with strong design strategy skills, organizational development acumen, and a passion for social impact to support our studio’s design and strategy practice across a wide range of projects, from program design and evaluation to communication tools. This is a 6-month contract with the possibility of extension. The multi-faceted position is ideal for a creative and critical thinker eager to collaborate on projects that blend knowledge of urban planning, human-centered design, communications, and public engagement. As part of our growing team, this person must demonstrate a collaborative working style, great communication skills, and the ability to be detail-oriented and solution-driven. The ideal candidate will be a creative thinker and proactive self-starter that is able to execute multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment and is comfortable working on projects with tight timeframes. The candidate shall have excellent written and verbal communication skills, a strong understanding of visual communications.
- Managing client engagements and relationships
- Coordinating with team members, subcontractors, partners, and vendors as needed to ensure successful implementation of deliverables
- Ensuring the scope and direction of the assigned project is on schedule
- Ensuring the assigned project is receiving necessary support and resources
Research + Engagement:
- Developing creative research frameworks that answer defined research questions
- Designing research methodologies and conducting qualitative and quantitative, primary and secondary research
- Managing the recruitment of participants for interviews, focus groups, surveys, and other research activities
- Participating in field research particularly around gathering user and stakeholder feedback
- Designing workshops activities that connect inputs with outputs
- Facilitation of workshop activities with clients, community members, and community-based organizations
- Learning and communicating what’s most important
- Leading synthesis activities to distill critical insights
- Articulating design opportunities through writing, frameworks, and presentations
- Brainstorming, sketching, and visualizing both digital and analog concepts.
- Creating evocative storytelling methods to communicate the design of programs, services, and projects.
- Creating low and-high fidelity prototypes.
- Visualizing program workflows and user journeys for service design projects
- Developing design concepts
- Managing the development of project deliverables including presentations, reports, or strategy documents
- Overseeing the design of graphic elements (e.g. logos, icons, brand guidelines, infographics)
- 3-5 years of professional experience and Master’s degree in Urban Planning, Urban Design, Design Management, Architecture, Transdisciplinary Design, Communications or related field;
- Working knowledge of Human-Centered Design and/or the social sector;
- Fluency in one of the ten New York City non-English languages: Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Bengali, Haitian Creole, Korean, Arabic, Urdu, French, and Polis is desired;
- Experience in client services and management consulting;
- Competency in Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator);
- Strong critical thinking skills, and the ability to quickly synthesize information into clear, persuasive communications;
- Charismatic, self-starter with the ability to communicate with diverse prospective and existing clients;
- Ability to multitask, work efficiently and effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced, and ambiguous environment
- Excellent written and oral communications skills necessary;
- Ability to articulate ideas and present concepts to internal team and clients;
- Ability to work effectively across disciplines, experience levels, working styles, and other differences.
- Experience in urban planning or international development a plus;
- Experience working with diverse communities and local organizations in NYC a plus;
To be considered, please submit your application to opportunities@3×3.co. The candidate will start as soon as possible; the position will remain open until filled. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Please submit your cover letter, resume, work samples (or link to online portfolio), and blog (if available). Applicants must write “Program Strategist: [FIRST NAME _ LAST NAME]” in the subject line of the email.apply for this position « return to opportunities page